Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 10:00 AM
National Realty Club New Path Forward Series
Virtually – Zoom Event
If you want to know what’s really going on in Real Estate, mark your calendar. The National Realty Club (NRC) is proud to announce that Bob Knakal will interview Kent Swig! August 19, 2020 at 10:00 am.
Yes! One of Real Estate’s most prominent figures, Bob Knakal, will Kick off a new series of INTERVIEWS as part of NRC’s new Path Forward programming. ‘The Knakal NRC Interview Series’ will feature Bob as a Top-to–Top interviewer with years. of recognized street smart experience, deep knowledge, and valuable insights.
Meet Our Speakers.
Kent M. Swing
About Our Speakers.
KENT M. SWIG, Principal
Kent M. Swig is an owner of several real estate operating companies as well as commercial and residential real estate properties throughout the United States. His holdings and titles include the following:
Swig Equities, LLC
Mr. Swig is President of Swig Equities, LLC, an investment and development firm focusing on the acquisition and development of real estate in New York City and California. Since 2001, Swig Equities has purchased and developed in excess of $3 billion of properties including holdings in Downtown Manhattan’s FiDi (Financial District) neighborhood comprising of 110 William Street, a 910,000 square foot office building; 80 Broad Street, a 440,000 square foot office building; 90 Broad Street, a 400,000 square foot office building; 44 Wall Street, a 350,000 square foot office building; 48 Wall Street, a 324,000 square foot office building; 5 Hanover Square, a 335,000 square foot office building; 770 Lexington Avenue, a 175,000 square foot commercial office building located in Midtown Manhattan, among others. Swig Equities residential investments include The Sheffield, 322 West 57th Street, a 58‐story mixed‐use building comprising 582 residential units, 109,000 square feet of commercial office, 8,840 square feet of retail, and a 372‐car parking garage; 58 apartments within the 198 unit residential building located at 401 East 89th Street; among others.
Terra Holdings, LLC
Mr. Swig is an Owner and Co‐Chairman of Terra Holdings, LLC, the largest privately owned real estate service company in the United States that owns and operates several residential real estate service firms including Brown Harris Stevens, one of the oldest and largest residential real estate service providers operating in New York City, the Hamptons, Palm Beach, and Miami; Halstead Property Company, a residential brokerage and management company comprised of more than 1,200 brokers in 32 offices throughout the New York Metropolitan Area; and Vanderbilt Holdings, a service firm with disciplines in appraisal and consulting and insurance. The combination of Brown Harris Stevens and Halstead Property Company annually sell more than $9 billion of apartments and townhouses, and the company’s management divisions manage over 500 buildings comprising more than 35,000 residential units.
Helmsley Spear, LLC
Mr. Swig is the Owner and serves as President of Helmsley Spear, LLC, which was founded in 1866 and is America’s oldest, continuously operating real estate company. The firm provides commercial real estate services focusing on third party office and retail leasing, asset and property management, investment sales, hotel services, and capital advisory services.
Falcon Pacific Construction / Builders, LLC
Mr. Swig is also an Owner and President of Falcon Pacific Construction, LLC and Falcon Pacific Builders, LLC which are a New York City-based construction company infused with an ownership, understanding, and approach to its construction projects. The two divisions are focused on interior renovations and ground up and building-wide construction throughout the New York Tri‐State area. The company’s successful track record is built on its ability to build positive working relations with architects, engineers, local officials, and vendors to achieve client’s goals.
Dignity Holdings, LLC
Mr. Swig serves as Chairman of Dignity Holdings, LLC a leader in cryptocurrency and digital coin mining, as well as serving as Chairman of its subsidiary companies:
- Dignity Gold, LLC, which owns the cryptocurrency Dignity Gold that trades under the symbol DIGG; Dignity Mining Group, LLC, a leader in crypto coin mining that uses cutting‐ edge technology for its mining operations, including 708 AMD mining rigs each running 12 Powercolor/TUL RX Vega 56 Nano graphics processing units;
- DigPay, LLC, an app‐based digital payment platform, like PayPal or Venmo, that stores currencies that users buy, sell and exchange, and unlike Venmo, DigPay can send cryptocurrencies peer to peer as well; Dignity X, LLC, a cryptocurrency exchange that allows users to instantly buy, sell or exchange cryptocurrencies, traditional currency like US dollars and other fiat currencies.
Fulcrum Equities, LLC
Mr. Swig serves as President of Fulcrum Equities, LLC a single family Office (“SFO”) that coordinates Mr. Swig’s family business and interests, and is an investor in real estate, operating companies, and many other types of investments. Working both with Mr. Swig’s capital and those of other investors, Fulcrum Equities brings an “owner’s eye and perspective” to its investment practices. In addition, Fulcrum Equities provides such services as asset management and investment monitoring for all of its investment portfolio.
The Swig Company
Finally, Mr. Swig is an Owner and Principal of The Swig Company, a family‐owned real estate and hotel company based in San Francisco and New York that was founded in 1936. The Swig Company’s portfolio includes over 10 million square feet of prime commercial office space throughout the United States as well as having founded, owned, and managed the Fairmont Hotels, which the company started in 1946. Prior to his current positions, Mr. Swig served as Executive Vice President of The
Macklowe Organization and specifically as President of Manhattan Pacific Management Company, Inc. where he oversaw the operation and leasing of a portfolio of more than 45 residential and commercial buildings in New York and Los
Angeles with a market value in excess of $2 billion.
Prior to that, Mr. Swig was Vice President of Swig, Weiler & Dinner Development Company, San Francisco, (now known as The Swig Company), where he worked extensively with the company’s Fairmont Hotels Group and directly oversaw the
development, acquisition, financing, and management of the firm’s portfolio of commercial office space totaling over 10 million square feet.
After earning his Bachelor of Arts degree in Chinese History from Brown University, Providence, R.I., Mr. Swig attended Hastings College of Law, San Francisco, where he was selected for the Law Review. Mr. Swig lives in New York City with his wife and four sons.
Civic and Professional Organization Memberships
- Board of Directors and Treasurer of the Municipal Arts Society (MAS), 2007 – present.
- Board of Directors of the Regional Plan Association (RPA), 2016 – present.
- Board of Directors of the Alliance for Downtown New York, 2005 – present.
- Board of Directors of the Realty Foundation, 1995 – present.
- Board of Governors of the Association of Builders and Owners of New York (ABO), 1989 – present.
- Board of Directors of Business Executives for National Security (BENS) 1996 – 2001, 2003 – 2010.
- Board of Directors of the Corporate and Congressional Division of The United Nations Associations of the United States of America (UNA‐USA), 1989 – 1995.
- Board of Directors of the New York Building Congress, 1988 – 1994 Charitable Organization Memberships
- Board of Directors of American Friends of Magen David Adom, 2019 – present
- Board of Directors of The State of Israel Bonds, 2002 – present.
- President of The American Friends of the Jaffa Institute, 1990 – present
- Board of Trustees of Central Synagogue, 2005 – 2015
- Chairman of the Real Estate and Construction Division of the State of Israel Bonds, 2001 – 2009.
- Board of Directors of Marin Academy High School, in San Rafael, CA, 1984 – 1987.
Honors and Awards
- Visionary Award bestowed by Magen David Adom, 2017
- Chabad/Lubavitch Youth Organization Honoree at The Grand National Testimonial Dinner, 2016.
- Honoree of the Association of Real Estate Women (AREW), 2008.
- Hero Award given by the Police Museum of New York, 2007.
- Man of the Year Award given by the Realty Foundation of New York, 2005.
- Israel’s Peace Medal given by The State of Israel Bonds, 2003.
- Man of the Year Award given by Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New York, 2000.
(Previously a President of NRC)
Chairman, NY Investment Sales
As Chairman, NY Investment Sales with JLL Capital Markets, Bob co-leads the investment sales division in New York City. Bob was Chairman and Founding Partner of Massey Knakal Realty Services, New York’s #1
building sales firm. He started his real estate career in 1984 at CB Richard Ellis where he met Paul J. Massey Jr. They both left CB in 1988 to form Massey Knakal. From 1988 through 2014, Massey Knakal closed over 6,000 transactions with an aggregate value in excess of $23 billion. To date, Bob has been personally responsible for the sale of 1,873 buildings (generally considered to be the highest total ever for a single broker in New York) and over $18 billion in sales.
On December 31, 2014, Cushman & Wakefield acquired Massey Knakal. At Cushman & Wakefield, Bob acted as Chairman of New York Investment Sales. He was ranked the top originating investment sales broker at Cushman & Wakefield, globally, in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Bob joined JLL in September of 2018.
Since 2009, Bob has written a weekly column on the New York City Real Estate Market called Concrete Thoughts for the Commercial Observer.
Notable Transactions – Property Location Type Value
- The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. Brooklyn, NY 1.7 million square feet $680,000,000
- The Upper East Side Portfolio New York, NY 330 residential units, 86,000 buildable square feet $375,000,000
- 219-235 East 42nd Street New York, NY 1 million buildable square feet $357,000,000
- 151 East 60th Street New York, NY 6 buildings, 200 feet of frontage $300,000,000
- 21 Penn Plaza New York, NY 16-story Class B office building $244,000,000
- 435 Tenth Avenue New York, NY 2.85 million square feet $238,000 000
- 201 East 76th Street New York, NY Development site $232,000,000
- Kew Gardens Portfolio Queens, NY 53 buildings, 24.6 acres $216,000,000
- Gray Block Portfolio New York, NY 6 buildings, 454,000 square feet, 55 units $198,500,000
- Century Portfolio New York, NY 28 buildings, 420,000 square feet $164,000,000
- 645 First Avenue New York, NY 144 sponsor units $147,000,000
- Vanderveer Estates Brooklyn, NY 59 buildings, 2,500 units $138,500,000
- Long Island Industrial Portfolio Long Island, NY 3.53 million square feet $135,000.000
330 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
T +1 212 812 5700
M +1 917 509 9501
- Investment Sales
- Hudson Yards, Midtown West
- Bob graduated from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor’s degree in economics in 1984.
Affiliations and achievements
- In 1999, at the age of 36, Bob was named to Crain’s New York Business’s Forty Under Forty/New York Rising Stars list for his outstanding achievement in the New York City business community.
- He is a two-time winner of the Real Estate Board of New York’s Robert T. Lawrence Award in the Most Ingenious Deal of the Year contest.
- Corporate Broker NY – 10311207925JLL Biography COPYRIGHT © JONES LANG LASALLE IP, INC. 2020. All Rights Reserved.